Books, Videos and Presentations
Mosquitoes Can’t Bite Ninjas Jordan P. Novak
Mosquito Bite Alexandra Siy and Dennis Kunkel (2006)
The Mosquito Brothers G. Ondaatje (2015)
The First Mosquito Carroll Simpson (2015)
Abuelito Swallowed a Mosquito! K. Carlos (2013)
El Canto del Mosquito Alma Flor Ada (1999)
Why Mosquitoes Buzz in People’s Ears Aardema Verna and Dianne Dillon (1975)
El Mosquito Zumbrador V. Uribe and G. Calderon (2010)
Teens and Adults
Diary of a Mosquito Abatement Man John Porcellino (2005)
The Fever: How Malaria has Ruled Humankind for 500,000 Years Sonia Shah
Mosquito: A Natural History of Our Most Persistent and Deadly Foe A. Spielman and M. D’Antonio (2001)
Zika: The Emerging Epidemic Donald G. McNeil Jr. (2016)
Predicting Malaria Outbreaks with NASA Satellites [4:17]
Mosquito Meets MODIS: South Dakota Fights West Nile Virus [6:53]
Western Europe Health & Air Quality II - NASA DEVELOP Spring 2018 @ GSFC [2:37]
Western Europe Health & Air Quality - NASA DEVELOP Fall 2017 @ Goddard Space Flight Center [2:42]
GLOBE Observer Mosquito Habitat Mapper [2:29]
Fight Zika with NASA GLOBE Observer’s Mosquito Habitat Mapper [3:14]
- Introduction to GLOBE Observer Mosquito Habitat Mapper– Introduces the problem, the solution, why NASA is interested in mosquito data
Take home message: GO MHM does all 3: surveillance, mitigation, and education.
- Mosquito Vectors of Disease– Identifies the taxa that are identified using the app and their roles as disease vectors.
- Satellite data and NASA connections– A sampling of research projects conducted by scientists that employ different classes of remotely sensed environmental data to forecast and backcast mosquito borne disease risk
- Prior Knowledge Quiz– The quiz addresses potential misconceptions about mosquito biology and disease transmission, identifies safety steps that provide protection from mosquito bites when out of doors, and emphasizes why citizen science participation using the GO MHM can support risk reduction in a community.
- Using app for the first time: introduce geolocation, description, and sampling- A brief introduction to the app, to ensure everyone has a functioning app, has the app displaying the correct language.
- Describing your mosquito habitat site using the GO MHM App– Step by step use of the app
- Using a macro lens with a mobile device– This short presentation identifies common problems with macro lenses.
- GO MHM Tutorial, specimen identification– As needed: use to review steps and introduce the steps associated with identification.